Wednesday, January 21, 2009

AFTER THE STORM: HIBERWAITING

Wednesday, January 20th


Wow. It’s Wednesday. How time flies when you give yourself some time off. The storm took down a few trees, but doesn’t seem to have caused any grievous harm. Then again I haven’t really gone out and had a look around. It’s too nasty outside and besides I’m hiberwaiting. It’s a cross between hibernating and waiting.

We haven’t heard from RTE yet. They said we’d know this week. Twelve entries pitched on Friday. Eight more pitched on Monday. I figure they should know by now. I don’t like waiting. As a freelance writer you always have something pending: a reply from a publisher, or agent, or commission. The best thing to do is to move on to the next project while you wait, but that’s always hard to do. I’m grateful for a writing deadline because it forces me to think about something else. This week the workload is pretty light, so I spent the first three days giving myself some time off to do domestic jobs instead. I also decided to celebrate Obama’s inauguration by dedicating the afternoon to watching it with my daughters and making a really nice dinner. I’m still feeling all warm and fuzzy and slightly bewildered. I’m not used to feeling inspired by the United States of America. As an American born and raised in Europe, it feels weird. I think that yesterday was the first time in my life that I could have run around waving an American flag and people would have waved back instead of giving me the finger. Moreover, it’s the first time in my adult life that I can ever remember wanting to run around waving an American flag.

Which, you may think, is neither here nor there. Except that it is. This blog is about “competing” in RTE’s Storyland project and waiting around to hear if you made it through the Pitch Hoop is part and parcel of the experience.

I think I’ll call David.

The next time I blog- I’ll know if we got it…

No comments:

Post a Comment