Saturday, January 17, 2009

THE PITCH

Saturday January 17th
THE PITCH
Phew! I’m back in West Cork being battered by a mighty gale after a whirlwind 12 hours up and down to Dublin yesterday-7:30am train up from Cork city, back in the People’s Republic by 7:30pm. The night before I rewrote the first episode (had some brilliant ideas-more about that later) and wrote my pitch notes for RTE before hitting my bed. Met David on a lonely dark road at 6:15am. We were both a bit astounded to be awake at that time of the morning.

We worked out the pitch on the train up. Breakfast helped. David is good at keeping to the point and not confusing the issues. We decided to be clear about our roles: Tina: Writer & Internet marketing stuff. David: Director & Technical AV Stuff. We’re both producers, but I figure that David should talk about budgets etc. We want to be sure not to talk over each other. Clear roles, clear points. We decide not to ask RTE any questions except for the Storyland launch date. We can work out the details after we get the gig.

The gale has just picked up a notch. The front window looks like it’s being blasted by a high-powered hose. The back and side windows are dry. The trees are thrashing around alarmingly. Howling and screeching accompany a deep rumbling sound, like a giant steamroller moving up the valley and over the house. It’s the kind of sound that fills your head. Every once it a while something flies by the window: a plastic carton, a tree branch, a UFO. I don’t often get scared, but this one is getting a little scary .

Pause while I go around the house, checking windows and doors and looking for a pair of tights to tie the kitchen door to the Aga.

Back.

I’ve just realised that I’m wrecked. The rumbling steam roller, the flickering lights and fuzzy TV reception don’t help. In fact, I think I’m too wrecked to write this blog.

Suffice it to say that we did it. It was great. We were very pleased. They seemed pretty pleased and everyone at RTE was lovely. Met Moocow and the guys from Mayo who made Hardy Bucks and wish them both luck.

I’m going to forget about Internet drama for the weekend and try to come back to Earth and get grounded. Either that or get blown away by this gale and end up in the back field.

2 comments:

  1. You survived!

    Did they film the pitch???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good for you! We pitched iCabalot on Monday. They weren't filming on Monday, which is good because I didn't really want to be filmed. It all goes by in a whirl after all the prep you do. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete